Novell to Windows file server
SEgerton
2007-02-16 17:17:10 UTC
We have just moved from Netware file server to Active Directory 2003 Windows
file servers. We used microsofts migration utilities and everything has
worked great. One issue i do have is that users can't browse to the directory
and files they have rights to. The only way they can get to the directories
they have rights to is by mapping it. In Netware you were able to browse
through the directory structure to the path of the directories you had rights
too; and you only saw the files you had rights to, but you also saw the path.
I have installed Microsofts Access-based Enumeration, but that doesn't really
seem to help.
Sean Cai [MSFT]
2007-02-20 09:42:25 UTC
Hello,

Thank you for posting in the Microsoft newsgroup!

From your post, my understanding on this issue is: you have problem on
browsing Windows Server 2003 file server. If I'm off base, please feel free
to let me know.

In Windows, if you want to browse a network share like \\file server\share,
you will need the read permission on the "share" folder. If the path is
longer like \\file server\share1\share2\share3, you will need the read
permission on all the share folders. The read permission I mentioned here
includes "Read" and "List Folder Content".

If you have problem on browsing computer like \\server, maybe a firewall is
blocking your action.

Please provide the following information so that we can provide further
diagnose:
1. The OS information of the clients, include the service pack version.
2. The error message when you browse the file server (please tell us the
path you browsed in the test)
3. Do you have the same problem on browsing other Windows servers?

Please let me know the information above so that I can provide further
assistance on this problem. I am looking forward to your reply.

Sean Cai, MCSE2000
Microsoft Online Partner Support

SEgerton
2007-02-23 13:45:36 UTC
Thank you Sean for your reply. Your on the right track and seem to understand
my issue. Lots of users have rights to files and directories deep w/ in the
directory structure. but it seems crazy that i would have to give read rights
the whole company to all directories so that people can browse to only those
files they have rights to. Wouldn't then everyone be able to read everything.
I would like every to be able to browse through the path to their files, but
only see what they have rights to. In Novell a user was able to browse
through folders and only saw the paths that lead them to the files or
directories they had rights to.
Post by Sean Cai [MSFT]
Hello,
Thank you for posting in the Microsoft newsgroup!
From your post, my understanding on this issue is: you have problem on
Sean Cai [MSFT]
2007-02-25 06:32:35 UTC
Hello,

I don't familiar with Novell's security settings. Windows use NTFS
permissions and Share permissions to control user access.

To explain how to set share permission will involve some knowledge about
NTFS permissions, I find the following articles for your reference:
NTFS Permissions
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetmag/issues/2005/11/HowITWorksNTFS/
NTFS Permissions, Part 2
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetmag/issues/2006/01/HowITWorksNTFS/?r
elated=/technet/technetmag/issues/2006/01/HowITWorksNTFS
These articles also talked about share permissions. I hope the information
above can address your concerns. If anything is unclear, please feel free
to let us know.

MB
2010-12-15 05:46:54 UTC
Hello SEgerto,

Did you ever manage to resolve this issue with the file permissions?

I too have the same issue post netware migration, where permissions nested deeper in the tree cannot be browsed to due to the way NTFS permissions works.
Post by Sean Cai [MSFT]
Hello,
Thank you for posting in the Microsoft newsgroup!
From your post, my understanding on this issue is: you have problem on
Post by Sean Cai [MSFT]
Hello,
I don't familiar with Novell's security settings. Windows use NTFS
permissions and Share permissions to control user access.
To explain how to set share permission will involve some knowledge about
NTFS Permissions
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetmag/issues/2005/11/HowITWorksNTFS/
NTFS Permissions, Part 2
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetmag/issues/2006/01/HowITWorksNTFS/?r
elated=/technet/technetmag/issues/2006/01/HowITWorksNTFS
These articles also talked about share permissions. I hope the information
above can address your concerns. If anything is unclear, please feel free
to let us know.
Sean Cai, MCSE2000
Microsoft Online Partner Support
Submitted via EggHeadCafe
JQuery Templates and the Topsy Otter Twitter Search API
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/e1431bb1-05be-4e4d-91dd-52e6d0aa6731/jquery-templates-and-the-topsy-otter-twitter-search-api.aspx