How to recover Files from Vista when going to Windows 7
lrobin
2010-03-04 05:12:01 UTC
How do I recover the info from my old computer | I have tried to download
the Windows migration tool, the USMT version 3.0.1, but I keep having a
hangup right at the end saying:

"There is a problem with windows installer package. A program run as part of
the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or
package vendor.

A folder named "Windows.old" was created in C (main drive) that contains all
of my files, but not distributed to the computer (for example, none of the
programs are installed... no Office etc.)

I am a student at a University and we were able to download Windows 7 for
free and it did not allow me the option to download it as an Upgrade. Don't
know if this helps.
lrobin
Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]
2010-03-04 07:33:49 UTC
Hello lrobin,

If i understand you correct you have installed a fresh Windows 7 over a Windows
Vista and now have no previous programs installed, just Windows 7.

The windows.old folder is created and contains all the old information/programs
etc. from the Windows Vista machine.

If you aren't abel to upgrade the Windows Vist what you see is expected as
a fresh install wan't takeover any installed programs. Also you should make
sure with the Windows upgrade advisor before that they are supported.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1B544E90-7659-4BD9-9E51-2497C146AF15&displaylang=en

If you have the need to back to previous Windows Vista check this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971762

Even your installation is a kind of migration i suggest to use the Windows
7 or Windows Vista forums for additional questions as there are more people
showing up for workstation OS problems as in this server.migration newsgroup:

Windows Vista:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsvista/

Windows 7:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windows7