ADMT Option File Parameters
Scott J. Peterson, MCSD, MCPSB, MCT
2006-07-20 22:36:01 UTC
I am running the ADMT (3) from a command line to migrate user(s), and it
looks like this (below) and I always get an error on the TargetOu...no matter
how I edit it...this value is correct, and if you look at logs from GUI
migrations it contains this same line...what needs to change? (yes we've
tried double quotes etc)

Error is unable to bind to DN...parameter is incorrect, etc.

[Migration]
IntraForest=yes
SourceDomain=landmark.lgc.com
SourceOu=
TargetDomain=corp.halliburton.com
TargetOu=LDAP://corp.halliburton.com/OU=Landmark -
Migrated,OU=HalUsers,DC=corp,DC=halliburton,DC=com
PasswordOption=copy
PasswordServer= ""
ConflictOptions=ignore
UserPropertiesToExclude= ""
InetOrgPersonPropertiesToExclude= ""
GroupPropertiesToExclude= ""
ComputerPropertiesToExclude= ""

[User]
DisableOption=EnableTarget
SourceExpiration=None
MigrateSIDs=Yes
TranslateRoamingProfile=No
UpdateUserRights=No
MigrateGroups=No
UpdatePreviouslyMigratedObjects=No
FixGroupMembership=Yes
MigrateServiceAccounts=No
UpdateGroupRights=No

Could this be a simple permission thing to access the target OU, or is it
actually wrong?
Vincent Xu [MSFT]
2006-07-21 02:34:27 UTC

First, I noticed that you are using option file. Check following article if
you have any incorrect place:

<http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/library/0b62e2f1-f15f-46e3-8
005-901926c5da2f1033.mspx?mfr=true>

Second, I suggest you try to migrate the user account by using GUI as a
test. I know you are using V3, but you can still refer to following article:

How to set up ADMT for Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 2000 migration
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q260871

Third, if you failed to migrate user account in GUI, please let me know the
exact error message.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

that others
may learn and benefit from this issue.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,and confers no rights.

--------------------
actually wrong?
Scott J. Peterson, MCSD, MCPSB, MCT
2006-07-21 13:23:02 UTC
Vincent,

Yes, this is always successful with the GUI. Via command line we get:

------------------------------
2006-07-21 08:16:21 Active Directory Migration Tool - scripted user
migration started.
2006-07-21 08:16:22 ERR2:0080 Unable to migrate users. Unable to bind to
container 'LDAP://corp.halliburton.com/OU=Landmark -
Migrated,OU=HalUsers,DC=corp,DC=halliburton,DC=com'. Unable to get
distinguished name for
'corp.halliburton.com/LDAP://corp.halliburton.com/OU=Landmark -
Migrated,OU=HalUsers,DC=corp,DC=halliburton,DC=com'. : The parameter is
incorrect. (0x80070057)
------------------------
A successful from the GUI log looks like:
---------------------------

ADMT Console
User: HALAMERICA\FESGMIISOPS
Computer: hallibur-evsy76.corp.halliburton.com (HALLIBUR-EVSY76)
Domain: corp.halliburton.com (HALAMERICA)
OS: Microsoft Windows Server 2003 5.2 (3790) Service Pack 1
Source Domain
Name: landmark.lgc.com (LANDMARK)
DC: HOUFSMO901.landmark.lgc.com (HOUFSMO901)
OS: Windows Server 2003 5.2 (3790) Service Pack 1
OU:
Target Domain
Name: corp.halliburton.com (HALAMERICA)
DC: HOUFSMO001.corp.halliburton.com (HOUFSMO001)
OS: Windows Server 2003 5.2 (3790) Service Pack 1
OU: LDAP://corp.halliburton.com/OU=Landmark -
Migrated,OU=HalUsers,DC=corp,DC=halliburton,DC=com
------------------------

Notice the error prepends the domain to the OU name...no amount of tweaking
this seems to have any effect...

Please advise.
Hi,
actually wrong?
Vincent Xu [MSFT]

From: =?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHQgSi4gUGV0ZXJzb24sIE1DU0QsIE1DUFNCLCBNQ1Q=?=
Subject: RE: ADMT Option File Parameters
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 06:23:02 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.migration
Vincent,
------------------------------
[...]
Hi,
actually wrong?
Simon Eijs
2010-04-16 12:06:48 UTC

Try the following syntax on the (target) OU:
TargetOu=Landmark - Migrated/HalUsers

Omit the Domain name, omit the distinguishedName syntax. No quote
required...

Regards, Simo

--
Simon Eij