Raising WIN 2008 function level question
Raul
2010-04-05 16:53:40 UTC
We've just upgraded all our domains to Win 2008 R2 from win 2000. We no
longer have any WIN 2000 DC's. The domain is running is WIN 2000 native
mode. Will raising the Functional level of domain to WIN 2008 R2 break our
Exchange 2003 server which is running on a windows 2003 server? Sorry if I
am posting to the wrong group.
Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]
2010-04-05 18:05:03 UTC
Hello Raul,

For Exchange 2003 it is important to have Exchange SP2 installed to work
together with Windows server 2008. See here about:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee338574(EXCHG.80).aspx

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.
Raul
2010-04-05 19:54:36 UTC
Thank you Meinolf. While reading the link I ran across this comment

"Clarification needed for Win2008 DS and E2k3
Please Wait
Under Operating System Environment:
For "Windows Server 2008 Active Directory Servers" and "Windows Server 2008
SP2 Active Directory Servers", I suggest that the X for Exchange 2003 SP2 to
have a * by it. In the comment I would like it to say "only in Windows 2003
native mode domains (see next table)." This is confusing some people, as
they are not looking at the next table and correlating the two.

In the "Active Directory Environment" table, the title should be changed to
"Domain/Forest Function Level". "Active Directory Environment" is a little
ambigious and has some room for misunderstanding."

Does that mean Exchange 2003 SP2 will not work in Win 2008 R2 active
directory mode? or should I ignore this comment?
Post by Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]
Hello Raul,
For Exchange 2003 it is important to have Exchange SP2 installed to work
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee338574(EXCHG.80).aspx
Best regards
Meinolf Weber
Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
confers no rights.
Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]
2010-04-05 20:11:07 UTC
Hello Raul,

Exchange 2003 Sp2 has the "X" in comparison with Windows server 2008 R2 forest
and domain functional level, so i cannot follow your question, doesn't matter
if Windows server 2008 or 2008 R2 DCs are in use, except RODCs.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.
Raul