Migrating to New Domain
snorbens
2010-02-25 21:06:06 UTC
Hello,

I am hoping someone can offer me some advice/guidelines to follow with
migrating from one domain with 2003 DCs to another domain with 2008 DCs. The
person who started this has left the company and I've been asked to look into
getting it completed and I could do with some helpful assistance.

The setup for the current domain is as follows:
2 DC's, both Server 2003, both GC servers with 1 DC holding all the FSMO
roles.
Currently in W2K Native Mode

The setup for the new domain as it had been left is as follows:
2 DC's, both Server 2008, neither are GC servers with 1 DC holding the
following FSMO roles: fsmoPDc, fsmoINFRA, fsmaRID. The others aren't assigned.
Currently in W2K3 Domain Mode

There is currently a Windows 2000 trust between the 2 domains.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, as I understand it, I need to put a Server 2008
DC into the current domain in order to use ADMT 3.1 to carry out the
migration. I have the lengthy ADMT 3.1 document to go through but, as I asked
at the beginning, could someone offer me any advice/guidelines that I need to
do to ensure the migration is successful?

Many Thanks
Mark
Santhosh Sivarajan
2010-02-25 21:54:41 UTC
Here are the high level steps:

1. Make sure you have DNS/WINS resolution between both Domain (DNS
forwarding, WINS replication etc etc)
2. Configure 2-way trust between source and target domains
3. Disable SID filtering
4. Install ADMT in your target Domain
5. migrate groups, users, computers etc

Since you are migrating from your source Domain (Windows 2003) to Target
Domain (windows 2008), you don’t need to install a Windows 2008 DC in the
source Domain.

I ran into a issue when I was disabling the SID filtering, I added this info
to my following blog:
http://www.ss-infrastructure.com/2009/06/sid-filtering-access-is-denied.html

Also, you can download the ADMT 3.1 guide from the following location:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6D710919-1BA5-41CA-B2F3-C11BCB4857AF&displaylang=fr&displaylang=en
--
Santhosh Sivarajan | MCTS, MCSE (W2K3/W2K/NT4), MCSA (W2K3/W2K/MSG), CCNA
Houston, TX

Mark
Santhosh Sivarajan