adprep command to promot new domain controller
Johnslg
2008-08-26 13:28:02 UTC
I recently was given the task to manage a small network:
2 domain controllers running Win 2003
2 member servers running Win 2003
Functional level = Win 2000 Mixed

I added another Win 2003 server and tried to promote it to a domain
controller because our second domain controller is also our SQL Server and it
was easier to create a new domain controller on a spare computer than to move
SQL Server to a new server.

I am told that before I can promote the server I must run adprep for both
the forest and domain.

I don't know how we got two Win2003 domain controllers without adprep ever
being run but that is beside the point.

My question:
I am not quite ready to raise the domain functional level - I'm not sure
what legacy devices might require the current level. Will adprep just add
the 2003 objects to my schema wihtout raising the functional leval?
Meinolf Weber
2008-08-26 13:58:04 UTC
Hello Johnslg,

To check the schema version run "schupgr" without the quotes on a command
prompt. 13 will be 2000, 30 2003, 31 2003 R2, 44 2008. If you have a 2003
R2 machine which you like to promote yuou have to run the adprep command
from the second R2 disk.

Adprep command will not raise the FFL/DFL, it just prepares the schema for
the new objects delivered with the different versions of windows.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.
Johnslg
2008-08-26 14:25:04 UTC
Thank you!

My schema is version 30 so I suppose I need to upgrade to 31. I'm wondering
if SP2 was ever installed on my other servers.
Johnslg
2008-08-26 14:41:01 UTC
On further investegation, my domain controller(s) have SP 2 installed. When
I tried to run adprep on the forest root domain controller it appeared as if
was the adprep program that would prepare the forest for Win2000 NOT Win2003.

And my server has a cd drive and won't read my msdn DVD disk I am installing
from.......
Johnslg
2008-08-26 15:22:11 UTC
OK....I give up.....I made a CD from the disk 2 ISO file. I found adprep on
the CD but I can't run it from the CD - the DOS window flashes by too fast to
see why not......what's my next step?
Johnslg

unknown
2010-03-25 20:55:17 UTC
I see you figured it out. Would you mind sharing. I'm having the exact same problem.

Johnsl wrote:

Re: adprep command to promot new domain controller
26-Aug-08

Never mind.....figured it out

Thank

"Johnslg" wrote:

On Tuesday, August 26, 2008 9:28 AM
Johnsl wrote:

[...]

On Tuesday, August 26, 2008 10:25 AM
Johnsl wrote:

Thank you!
Thank you

My schema is version 30 so I suppose I need to upgrade to 31. I am wonderin
if SP2 was ever installed on my other servers

"Meinolf Weber" wrote:

On Tuesday, August 26, 2008 10:41 AM
Johnsl wrote:

On further investegation, my domain controller(s) have SP 2 installed.
On further investegation, my domain controller(s) have SP 2 installed. When
I tried to run adprep on the forest root domain controller it appeared as if
was the adprep program that would prepare the forest for Win2000 NOT Win2003

And my server has a cd drive and won't read my msdn DVD disk I am installing
from......

"Johnslg" wrote:

On Tuesday, August 26, 2008 11:22 AM
Johnsl wrote:

OK....I give up.....I made a CD from the disk 2 ISO file.
OK....I give up.....I made a CD from the disk 2 ISO file. I found adprep on
the CD but I can't run it from the CD - the DOS window flashes by too fast to
see why not......what's my next step

"Johnslg" wrote:

On Tuesday, August 26, 2008 11:59 AM
Johnsl wrote:

Re: adprep command to promot new domain controller
Never mind.....figured it out

Thank

"Johnslg" wrote:

On Wednesday, August 27, 2008 1:37 AM
Meinolf Weber wrote:

Hello Johnslg,To check the schema version run "schupgr" without the quotes on
Hello Johnslg

To check the schema version run "schupgr" without the quotes on a command
prompt. 13 will be 2000, 30 2003, 31 2003 R2, 44 2008. If you have a 2003
R2 machine which you like to promote yuou have to run the adprep command
from the second R2 disk

Adprep command will not raise the FFL/DFL, it just prepares the schema for
the new objects delivered with the different versions of windows

Best regard

Meinolf Webe
no rights
** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroup

BizTalk Configure and Send SMTP Mail Based on Message Within an Orchestration
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/4e9e7c92-1279-4fdb-8631-a2f309a021c2/biztalk-configure-and-sen.aspx