Consolodating mixed domains
Ruptured Rancher
2010-02-24 17:25:01 UTC
We have several domains on our campus that are in desperate need of being
consolodated. We have an elementary domain that has never had a trust
established between it and the general school domain. Am I correct in
thinking that it is easier to establish that trust first before attempting
the consolodation of these domains and ending the elementary one?

I believe, I'm still relatively new on the campus, that the elementary
domain is a Server 2000 domain while the general campus domain is Server
2003R2.

Where can I find some good How To articles on this subject?

Thanks.
Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]
2010-02-24 18:42:36 UTC
Hello Ruptured,

If you have the need to consolidate 2 forests/domains into one, you need
to create a trust and then use ADMTv3.0 to migrate one into the other.

See here about ADMTv3, you should create a lab to get familiar with all the
needed steps, as this isn't a quick and trivial step, it requires good planning
and time:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=B1F816C0-4E2B-4E5D-B256-1AC304062367&displaylang=en

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=6F86937B-533A-466D-A8E8-AFF85AD3D212&displaylang=en

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.
Thanks.
Ruptured Rancher
.
Santhosh Sivarajan
2010-02-25 17:01:03 UTC
Just FYI..ADMT 3.1 is the latest version. If you don’t have any NT4.0
domains, go with 3.1 version.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=AE279D01-7DCA-413C-A9D2-B42DFB746059&displaylang=en
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6D710919-1BA5-41CA-B2F3-C11BCB4857AF&displaylang=fr&displaylang=en
--
Santhosh Sivarajan | MCTS, MCSE (W2K3/W2K/NT4), MCSA (W2K3/W2K/MSG), CCNA
Houston, TX

Thanks.
Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]
2010-02-26 06:18:08 UTC
Hello Santhosh,

ADMT has a Windows Server 2008 as requirement. The OP uses Windows server
2000 and Windows server 2003.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.
Thanks.
Santhosh Sivarajan
2010-02-26 14:49:24 UTC
Hi Meinolf,

ADMT 3.1 needs to be on a Widows 2008 server. But Domain and DCs can be
Windows 2000, 2003 or 2008. If they cant use a Windows 2008 server, then
they need to go with ADMT 3.0. Thanks for the clarification Meinolf.

System Requirements
Supported Operating Systems: Windows Server 2008
ADMT can be installed on any computer capable of running the Windows Server
2008 operating system, unless they are Read-Only domain controllers or in a
Server Core configuration.
Target domain: The target domain must be running either Windows 2000 Server
or Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2
Source domain: The source domain must be running Windows 2000 Server,
Windows Server 2003, or Windows Server 2008
The ADMT agent, installed by ADMT on computers in the source domains, can
operate on computers running Windows 2000 Professional, Windows 2000 Server,
Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows
7, and Windows Server 2008 R2.
--

Post by Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]
Hello Santhosh,
ADMT has a Windows Server 2008 as requirement. The OP uses Windows server
2000 and Windows server 2003.
Best regards
Meinolf Weber
Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
confers no rights.