Need help in migration win2k to win2k8
jimmylatan
2009-04-01 05:42:33 UTC
Greetings.

I need some advice from all the kind people here.
Currently i have a win2k server which is the PDC and running DHCP an
DNS, and another server which is a DC and runs exchange 2000.

I would like to migrate to win2k8 AD and migrate my exchange to versio
2007.

My goal is to migrate the domain first, then only migrate the exchang
server.

I read thru some thread and have some basic understanding of migratin
from win2k to win2k8. My question is, while I migrating the win2k PDC t
win2k8, will it affect my current exchange2000 server?

What is the best method in order to migrate a system like this?

I plan to migrate both to VM, inside a same physical server.

Thanks

--
jimmylata
jimmylatan's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/86449.ht

http://forums.techarena.i
Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]
2009-04-01 06:32:57 UTC
Hello jimmylatan,

DC with 2000 and 2008 can coexist in one domain wihtout any problem. But
Exchange 2000 is not that easy, so please check this articles first:

"Exchange 2000 Server Service Pack 3 and all previous versions of Microsoft
Exchange are not for use with Windows Server 2008 directory servers. The
following restrictions apply with respect to Exchange 2000 Server Service
Pack 3:
Exchange 2000 Server Service Pack 3 can exist in an Active Directory forest
that contains Windows Server 2008 directory servers, but Windows Server 2008
directory servers should not be installed in Active Directory Sites that
contain Exchange 2000 Server.
If Windows Server 2008 directory servers must be deployed Active Directory
Sites that contain Exchange 2000 Server you must first hard-code directory
service access (DSAccess) on the Exchange 2000 Server servers in the site
to point to directory servers running Windows Server 2003 or Windows 2000
Server."

http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2007/08/16/446709.aspx

http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2008/03/05/448338.aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555854

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.
Post by jimmylatan
Greetings.
I need some advice from all the kind people here.
Currently i have a win2k server which is the PDC and running DHCP and
DNS, and another server which is a DC and runs exchange 2000.
I would like to migrate to win2k8 AD and migrate my exchange to
version 2007.
My goal is to migrate the domain first, then only migrate the exchange
server.
I read thru some thread and have some basic understanding of migrating
from win2k to win2k8. My question is, while I migrating the win2k PDC
to win2k8, will it affect my current exchange2000 server?
http://forums.techarena.in
Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]
2009-04-01 06:44:54 UTC
Hello jimmylatan,

BTW, one posting will be enough for the same problem/question. If somebody
here is able to answer you will get it, without posting the same problem
just half an hour later. This confuses and makes more work for reading from
others and for yout o sort all answers you will get.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.
http://forums.techarena.in
jimmylatan
2009-04-01 09:08:21 UTC
I am a bit confuse here, please correct me if i understand it wrongly.

Mu understanding.... if I need to migrate both AD and exchange to th
latest version, I have to do it step by step, first of all, I instal
server 2008 into the same tree as an additional DC, then let the AD d
it's replication.

And in order to keep the exchange server 2000 running properly when
have a Server 2008 as a DC, I need to do a hard-code in the DSAccess, t
point to the win2k server?

So at the moment, I have one original win2k PDC, one win2k8 DC, and on
exch2k server with hard-code DSAccess. Until this stage, am I understan
correctly?

Then I will start to install exchange 2007, then migrate all mail bo
from 2k to 2k7, then finally I promote the win2k8 to become the PDC
then remove the 2 old server?

I am sorry about the double post. There was a network connection erro
while I post the thread just now, I though it is not posted successfull
and do a repost

http://forums.techarena.i
Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]
2009-04-01 11:06:51 UTC
Hello jimmylatan,

See inline.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.
Post by jimmylatan
I am a bit confuse here, please correct me if i understand it wrongly.
Mu understanding.... if I need to migrate both AD and exchange to the
latest version, I have to do it step by step, first of all, I install
server 2008 into the same tree as an additional DC, then let the AD do
it's replication.
And in order to keep the exchange server 2000 running properly when I
have a Server 2008 as a DC, I need to do a hard-code in the DSAccess,
to point to the win2k server?
Yes.
Post by jimmylatan
So at the moment, I have one original win2k PDC, one win2k8 DC, and
one exch2k server with hard-code DSAccess. Until this stage, am I
understand correctly?
Yes.
Post by jimmylatan
Then I will start to install exchange 2007, then migrate all mail box
from 2k to 2k7, then finally I promote the win2k8 to become the PDC,
then remove the 2 old server?
See here about exchange transitioning to Exchange 2007:
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Transitioning-Exchange-2000-2003-Exchange-Server-2007-Part1.html

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Transitioning-Exchange-2000-2003-Exchange-Server-2007-Part2.html

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Transitioning-Exchange-2000-2003-Exchange-Server-2007-Part3.html
Post by jimmylatan
I am sorry about the double post. There was a network connection error
while I post the thread just now, I though it is not posted
successfully and do a repost.
http://forums.techarena.in
jimmylatan
2009-04-01 23:59:06 UTC
Thanks so much Meinolf, I will try the migration during the weekend whe
no one is using the system. :

http://forums.techarena.i
karim
2010-07-24 12:28:51 UTC
jimmylatan wrote on 04/01/2009 01:42 ET
Post by jimmylatan
Greetings
I need some advice from all the kind people here
Currently i have a win2k server which is the PDC and running DHCP a
DNS, and another server which is a DC and runs exchange 2000
I would like to migrate to win2k8 AD and migrate my exchange to versi
2007
My goal is to migrate the domain first, then only migrate the exchan
server
I read thru some thread and have some basic understanding of migrati
from win2k to win2k8. My question is, while I migrating the win2k PDC
win2k8, will it affect my current exchange2000 server
What is the best method in order to migrate a system like this
I plan to migrate both to VM, inside a same physical server
Thank
jimmylat
jimmylatan's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/86449.h
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/server-migration/1152221.h
http://forums.techarena.
Dear All
i have the same experiance befor
i have done two migratio
from wink2003 to win2k2008R
and from exchange 2003 to exchange 200
and i have made all the documents needed fot that perpus
and full details and with all the errors you can fac
and also raising the domain level and moving the FSMO rule
id you need the documents please send me mai
on ***@hotmail.co
thank
Name: Karim Zaki