Remap client printers after migrating to new print server
Gaza
2007-11-22 22:05:00 UTC
We have consolidated 3 print servers into one and before switching off the
old print servers we need to remap the client machines to the new server.

In the days of NT4 we used the tool CHGPRINT.exe to do this, which worked a
treat. Anyone know of a tool/script that will run as part of logon script,
search the clients list of connected printers, remap the printer to a
different server and possibly different sharename.

I have tried running chgprint.exe but does not appear to work under W2k3 R2
Sp1 server & WinXP SP2 clients. I have approx 1800 clients and 175 printers.

thanks in advance,
Mathieu CHATEAU
2007-11-22 22:32:40 UTC
Hello,

I am providing a vbscript on my blog do to this:
http://lordoftheping.blogspot.com/2007/09/vbscript-to-change-printer-server.html
--
Cordialement,
Mathieu CHATEAU
thanks in advance,
Gaza
2007-11-22 22:45:00 UTC
A nice addition to your script would be to allow for the printer share name
changing too. The old chgprint.exe tool read a list of old
\\printoldsrv\prshare1 to new \\printnewsrv\prshare99 from a text file.

As we are also moving from 3 servers to one, and at the same time changing
the printer name standard, the above feature would be beneficial.

regards,
Gary
Hello,
thanks in advance,
Mathieu CHATEAU

thanks in advance,
Gaza

thanks in advance,
Mathieu CHATEAU
thanks in advance,
Gaza
2007-11-23 23:54:14 UTC
Mathieu,

I have managed to get "chgprint.exe" to work. The printer definition on the
client were using fully qualified domain name for the old servers.

However, your script is still very useful as chgprint gives no logging or
error detection.

thanks,
Gary
Post by Mathieu CHATEAU
ok it would be ready soon
--
Post by Gaza
A nice addition to your script would be to allow for the printer share name
changing too. The old chgprint.exe tool read a list of old
\\printoldsrv\prshare1 to new \\printnewsrv\prshare99 from a text file.
As we are also moving from 3 servers to one, and at the same time changing
the printer name standard, the above feature would be beneficial.
regards,
Gary
Hello,
thanks in advance,
t***@hotmail.com
2007-11-27 15:48:08 UTC
Post by Mathieu CHATEAU
ok it would be ready soon
--
Post by Gaza
A nice addition to your script would be to allow for the printer share name
changing too. The old chgprint.exe tool read a list of old
\\printoldsrv\prshare1 tonew\\printnewsrv\prshare99 from a text file.
As we are also moving from 3 servers to one, and at the same time changing
the printer name standard, the above feature would be beneficial.
regards,
Gary
Post by Mathieu CHATEAU
Hello,
[...]
thanks in advance,- Hide quoted text -
I took a look at your vbs script, and it looks real good. Did you
ever get a chance to modify the script so that it will account for the
queue name changing on the new print server?
Mathieu CHATEAU
2007-11-27 16:13:38 UTC
Hello,

here is the updated script version:
http://gollum123.free.fr/printermigrator.vbs

Now you have to set:
-A folder where a log per username is created:
Set objFile = objFSO.CreateTextFile ("\\fileserver\Logs\printers\" &
UserName & ".log")

-The new print server name in this file
Set objFileServer = objFSO.OpenTextFile (LogonServer &
"\netlogon\printers\default.txt", ForReading)

-A CSV for changing printer name:
Set objfiletable = objFSO.OpenTextFile (LogonServer &
"\netlogon\printers\Convtable.txt", ForReading)
syntax is :
oldname;newname
--
Cordialement,
Mathieu CHATEAU
English blog: http://lordoftheping.blogspot.com
French blog: http://www.lotp.fr
Post by t***@hotmail.com
Post by Mathieu CHATEAU
ok it would be ready soon
--
Post by Gaza
A nice addition to your script would be to allow for the printer
share
name
changing too. The old chgprint.exe tool read a list of old
\\printoldsrv\prshare1 tonew\\printnewsrv\prshare99 from a text file.
As we are also moving from 3 servers to one, and at the same time changing
the printer name standard, the above feature would be beneficial.
regards,
Gary
Hello,
t***@hotmail.com
2008-01-04 19:48:33 UTC
Post by Mathieu CHATEAU
Hello,
here is the updated script version:http://gollum123.free.fr/printermigrator.vbs
Set objFile = objFSO.CreateTextFile ("\\fileserver\Logs\printers\" &
UserName & ".log")
-The new print servernamein this file
Set objFileServer = objFSO.OpenTextFile (LogonServer &
"\netlogon\printers\default.txt", ForReading)
Set objfiletable = objFSO.OpenTextFile (LogonServer &
"\netlogon\printers\Convtable.txt", ForReading)
oldname;newname
--
Cordialement,MathieuCHATEAU
English blog:http://lordoftheping.blogspot.com
French blog:http://www.lotp.fr
Post by Mathieu CHATEAU
ok it would be ready soon
--
Post by Gaza
A nice addition to your script would be to allow for the printer
share
name
changingtoo.  The old chgprint.exe tool read a list of old
\\printoldsrv\prshare1 tonew\\printnewsrv\prshare99 from a text file.
As we are also moving from 3 servers to one, and at the same time changing
the printernamestandard,  the above feature would be beneficial.
regards,
Gary
Post by Mathieu CHATEAU
Hello,
[...]
queuenamechangingon the new print server?- Hide quoted text -
Hello,

This script is working great! One minor issue that I think I can get
around, but I want to see what you have to say about it.

The script will try to convert all network printers regardless of what
print server that printer is on. In my case there are only certain
printers on one printer server that we are migrating and only the
printers on that one server will be migrated. So for the printers
that were on that server, the script worked beautifully, however, for
printers that were on a different print server, it simply tried to
covert it but failed and the printer was deleted. I know this is
asking much, but is there a way around that. In others words, can we
have the script just look to convert printers that are on one
particular print server. Just to throw a curveball, the print server
is clustered, so it can be referred to by 1 of 3 names. Thanks again
for all of your help.

Regards,
Triston
Mathieu CHATEAU
2008-01-04 20:43:32 UTC
Hello,

need to add a "if" statement.

If you have a cluster, you should only and only point to the virtual name,
never the node names.
Do you get where to put the if or do you need help ?
--
Post by Mathieu CHATEAU
Hello,
here is the updated script
version:http://gollum123.free.fr/printermigrator.vbs
Set objFile = objFSO.CreateTextFile ("\\fileserver\Logs\printers\" &
UserName & ".log")
-The new print servernamein this file
Set objFileServer = objFSO.OpenTextFile (LogonServer &
"\netlogon\printers\default.txt", ForReading)
Set objfiletable = objFSO.OpenTextFile (LogonServer &
"\netlogon\printers\Convtable.txt", ForReading)
oldname;newname
--
Cordialement,MathieuCHATEAU
English blog:http://lordoftheping.blogspot.com
French blog:http://www.lotp.fr
Post by Mathieu CHATEAU
ok it would be ready soon
--
Post by Gaza
A nice addition to your script would be to allow for the printer
share
name
changingtoo. The old chgprint.exe tool read a list of old
\\printoldsrv\prshare1 tonew\\printnewsrv\prshare99 from a text file.
As we are also moving from 3 servers to one, and at the same time changing
the printernamestandard, the above feature would be beneficial.
regards,
Gary
Hello,

Triston
Andy Jad
2010-08-30 15:06:19 UTC
Hi Mathieu,

Not sure if i'm using the right way to execute the script.

I placed this script on a desktop to try, in cmd, i typed 'cscript printmigrator.vbs'

Nothing seems to happen, no error, no log files, but cscript process took up 100% of usgae and slowed down the entire system.

Did i miss some steps in between ?
Post by Gaza
We have consolidated 3 print servers into one and before switching off the
old print servers we need to remap the client machines to the new server.
In the days of NT4 we used the tool CHGPRINT.exe to do this, which worked a
treat. Anyone know of a tool/script that will run as part of logon script,
search the clients list of connected printers, remap the printer to a
different server and possibly different sharename.
I have tried running chgprint.exe but does not appear to work under W2k3 R2
Sp1 server & WinXP SP2 clients. I have approx 1800 clients and 175 printers.
thanks in advance,
Hello,
Post by Gaza
Change over is planned for next week .. if you could do this, then that
would be great.
regards,
Gary
Post by Mathieu CHATEAU
ok it would be ready soon
--
Post by Gaza
Mathieu,
I have managed to get "chgprint.exe" to work. The printer definition on the
client were using fully qualified domain name for the old servers.
However, your script is still very useful as chgprint gives no logging or
error detection.
thanks,
Gary
Hello,
Post by Mathieu CHATEAU
[...]
Post by Mathieu CHATEAU
r.vbs
er-...
[...]
BizTalk: Parallel Processing with Correlation
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/6b1df1e9-e8fc-4dc1-a810-1245a8ef0208/biztalk-parallel-processing-with-correlation.aspx