FSMT Question
ctconline
2006-02-05 14:36:27 UTC
I have a project where I need to move data from several seperate Windows 2000
file servers to a couple of NAS units. We are not currently using dfs and we
would like to use dfs on the new NAS units. I know that in order to minimize
the impact on end users, we need to use the FSMT and Consolidation Root
Wizard.

Can someone provide me step by step instructions on how to proceed? Or if
you know of an article that provides step by step instructions, that would be
great. My first question is which tool do I run first (FSMT or CRW)?

The desired end result is to have all data on the two 1.6TB NAS units which
will be redundant to each other using dfs. The NAS units are running Windows
2003 Storage Server Standard. I also setup another server running Windows
2003 Enterprise because I read that this was a prerequisite for the CRW.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jason Tan (MSFT)
2006-02-06 06:02:52 UTC
Hello,

Thanks for posting!

I suggest you atttempt to use FSMT to achieve the goal. FSMT helps the
system administrator configure new functionality in Distributed File System
(DFS) to maintain the original Universal Naming Convention (UNC) path of
files after they are moved to a new server. This reduces the impact of file
server consolidation and migration, saves end users time spent searching
for files, and ensures that line-of-business applications keep running.

For more information please refer to the following article:

Microsoft File Server Migration Toolkit
<http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/upgrading/nt4/tooldocs/msfsc.msp
x>

FAQ on FSMT:
<http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/upgrading/nt4/tooldocs/msfst_faq
s.mspx>

White Paper:
<http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/upgrading/nt4/tooldocs/msfst_ove
rview.mspx>

Hope the information helps.

Best Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------

ctconline
2006-02-06 13:03:31 UTC
Thank you for the information. I have actually already read these articles,
but I was looking for something more specific. I guess my main question is
which tool should I use first? Do I run the Consildation Root Wizard and
then run the File Server Migration tool?

Can someone please provide me very specific instructions? Thanks.

Jason Tan (MSFT)
2006-02-07 08:35:16 UTC
Hello,

Thanks for response!

You may run Run the DFS Consolidation Root Wizard on the cluster which has
installed the FSMT and then run FSMT.

I would like to provide you with the following example for your reference:

1. Install the FSMT on one of the cluster nodes. The detailed download
information
can be acquired from the following link:
Microsoft File Server Migration Toolkit
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/upgrading/nt4/tooldocs/msfsc.mspx

2. Change the computer name of the original file server prior to the
following
action.
3. Please open the cluster administrator on the cluster node and create one
group
for DFS root resources. After creating the group, we should create physical
disk,
IP address and Network name resources in it.
4. Run the DFS Consolidation Root Wizard on the cluster, which has
installed the
FSMT (It will be installed automatically after installing FSMT).
5. Filled in the DFS root server as the IP address of local machine.
6. In the ¡°DFS Root Folders Location, please fill in the local path of the
folder
as the drive letter of the share disk (for example G:\roots), which is
planned to
maintain the DFS Root folder.
7. In the ¡°Server to Consolidate¡±, click Add Server:
a. In the original name, fill in the original computer name of the file
server
before changing the name.
b. In the current name, fill in the current computer name of the file
server.
c. Click Next until it is finished.

8. Open cluster administrator and create another group to hold the file
share
resources. Please also create physical disk (this share disk is used for
holding
share data), IP address and Network name resources in this group.
9. Start FSMT.
10. Click New in the ¡°Welcome to File Server Migration Wizard¡± and click
Next.
11. In the project name and location, click Next if we do not need to
change the
location of the project file.
12. In the DFS Consolidation Root server¡±, fill in the Server as the
server name
of the local machine and click Next.
13. In the Default Location for Migrated Shared Folders¡±, fill in the
location as
the share disk drive letter and click Next. This share disk is used for
holding the
share data.
14. Click Finish to complete the configuration.
15. In the setup phase, please choose the share data, we are planning to
migrate.
16. Click Continue until all the phases are finished.
17. Test whether we can access the files share with the original UNC path.
18. Repeat the steps from 3 to 17 for the other file servers, which need
migrate.

> [...]

so

| > =====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: =?Utf-8?B?Y3Rjb25saW5l?= <***@discussions.microsoft.com>
| > | Subject: FSMT Question
| > | Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 06:36:27 -0800
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.migration
| > |
| > | I have a project where I need to move data from several seperate
Windows
| > 2000
| > | file servers to a couple of NAS units. We are not currently using
dfs
| > and we
| > | would like to use dfs on the new NAS units. I know that in order to
| > minimize
| > | the impact on end users, we need to use the FSMT and Consolidation
| > |

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
2006-02-06 22:05:02 UTC
If you have FSMT installed, check out the launch pad, which provides
overviews and guidelines for each tool in the File Server Migration Toolkit.
We recommend that you use the launch pad as a starting point for your
migration. The launch pad is available from the Start menu: click Start,
point to All Programs, point to Microsoft File Server Migration Toolkit, and
then click Launch Pad.

Want to learn more about Windows Server file and storage technologies? Visit
our team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
ctconline
2006-02-08 17:45:28 UTC
Thank you for the information Jill. The Launch Pad was very helpful as to
the order of things. Can you assist me with my planning? It says to plan
for a maintenance window to rename the file servers which are going to be
migrated. How long of a window do I need? I guess what I'm asking is how
long after renaming the servers and running the consolidation wizard will
clients be able to access files by the original UNC path?

The reason I ask is because we are an international company and there is
ALWAYS someone working at all hour of the day. I just need to know if this
is a weekend job or an after hours job.